We were notified today that there is a confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Williamson County Tennessee. People have been asking lots of questions, so I have put together a little information. If you feel you have been exposed, may be sick, or are at risk, please contact your health care provider or the county health department.
Please take precautions, care for yourself and your family in a proactive preventative manner, and think of your community and those who may have special needs as well.
Information published by the WHO
- COVID-19 is the name of the respiratory illness
- According to the WHO as of March 4, 2020 there have been 12,668 cases of the virus and 214 deaths outside of China
- According to the WHO as of March 4, 2020 there have been 108 cases of the virus and 4 deaths in the United States
- The WHO states, “If you are not in an area where COVID-19 is spreading, or have not travelled from an area where COVID-19 is spreading, or have not been in contact with an infected patient, your risk of infection is low.”
- For those in an area where there have been cases. For most the infection will cause mild illness. However, it can make some people very ill and could potentially be fatal. Those at the highest risk are those who are immune compromised and with existing medical conditions.
- Suspect cases will include those patients with acute respiratory illness… (Fever and at least one sign/symptom of respiratory disease, AND with no other etiology that explains the clinical signs AND a history of travel to or residence in an area with reported cases during the 14 days prior to symptom onset; OR A patient with A patient with any acute respiratory illness AND having been in contact with a confirmed or probable COVID- 19 case (see definition of contact on the WHO.int site) in the last 14 days prior to onset of symptoms; OR A patient with severe acute respiratory infection (fever and at least one sign/symptom of respiratory disease (e.g., cough, shortness breath) AND requiring hospitalization AND with no other etiology that fully explains the clinical presentation.
- Signs and symptoms include: fever and at least one sign/symptom of respiratory disease (e.g., cough, shortness of breath, wheeze, productive cough, pain or discomfort in the chest).
- Mainly through respiratory droplets and close contact… similar to how the flu is transmitted
- Incubation period is 2-14 days is typical
- Upper respiratory symptoms that are uncomplicated such as cough, sore throat, congestion, fatigue and lethargy, headache, body aches, shortness of breath, wheeze, tightness or pain in the chest. More rare symptoms that are more complicated might include pneumonia, ARDS, sepsis, septic shock and death… however, note at this time the more complicated symptoms/cases are rare
- Most who have cold or flu symptoms have a cold or the flu
- Most doctors offices can not test for COVID-19
- If you feel that you are symptomatic and at risk call your local health department or provider first before putting others at risk
- Or go to the emergency room if you are ill
Natural Approaches We Love
These are to strengthen the immune system and offer protection from viruses – see your provider to monitor for adequate levels.
- Vitamin C 1000-5000 mg a day
- Vitamin D 30-50,000 IU per day for 4 days
- Turiva by Ortho Molecular (Turmeric product) as directed
- Viracid by Ortho Molecular antiviral combination product as directed
- Biocidin and Oliverix by Bio-Botanical Research – broad spectrum anti-microbial and immune support as directed
- Selenium, brazil nuts, or Astragalus tea - This research indicated that those with a 98.7ug/L of Selenium in plasma or serum may have immunity to the corona virus and other enveloped viruses. Have your selenium levels checked by your provider. (http://www.sciencedomain.org/abstract/7276)
- Biomega-1000 (Omega 3’s) 1000-4000 mg per day by Biotics Research
- Ultra Flora Spectrum (Metagenics) or Mega Sporebiotic (Microbiome Labs) Probiotics
- Zinc 15-30mg per day
We recommend quality brands such as: Thorne, Biotics Research, Ortho Molecular, Quicksilver Scientific, Designs for Health, Microbiome Labs, Metagenics, Bio-Botanical Research, and other brands you will find on our Fullscript site or under the apothecary tab on our website at www.theforkclinic.com
You can order supplements at a discount using our Fullscript link here: https://us.fullscript.com/welcome/theforkfunctionalmedicine
Steps to Take for Protection
- Wash your hands
- Stay home when possible and avoid crowded areas if possible
- Eat a healthy healing diet consisting of the rainbow of fruits and veggies
- Fermented foods and superfoods
- Drink lots of water
- Get out in nature and get fresh air and sunlight
- Get some exercise
- Rest and get adequate sleep
- Avoid stress
- Stay away from those who are sick
- Look out for each other… support those you love and your community!
This article (https://healthykidshappykids.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-covid-19/) by Dr. Elisa Song that is an in depth informative article about the Coronavirus (COVID-19). She is a pediatrician and the article is well written and exceptionally well researched. She provides links to the research she has used at the bottom of the article. I highly recommend reading it and staying updated here (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports)
and here (https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports).
Wishing you wellness and health,
Chyrl Mosley, FNP-BC